US made products are something you can trust, and buying a dehumidifier made in USA can offer better value than cheaper brands with overseas production. However, there are a lot of manufacturers out there, and it isn’t always easy to tell which dehumidifiers are made in the USA.
In this article, I’ve compiled all the best American-made dehumidifiers so you can easily tell which US manufacturers to look out for.
Basement & Crawl Space Dehumidifiers
Ebac offers portable options useful in unfinished basements or damp crawl spaces. Their products have commercial-level quality and can handle a lot of water, giving you long-term protection in your home.
Santa Fe is considered one of the best US brands and has a range of options perfect for small spaces. They are powerful enough to use as a commercial dehumidifier but have very low energy costs. Plus, they offer a 6-year warranty to protect and extend the life of their products.
Pohl Schmitt is a homeware appliance company based in Oregon. They’re a smaller company, but their dehumidifiers are well-made and reliable. Their products work well in a small basement or crawl space, but they are definitely for residential use and not powerful enough for commercial use.
Frigidaire is an American company founded over 100 years ago. They have a wide range of products available through their website, but they are still primarily made in the USA. Their portable units will work well in basements or damp crawl spaces, but they also have some fixed units if you need them to run permanently.
Dri-Eaz models are regarded as some of the best portable industrial dehumidifier units on the market. They have a high capacity and can remove a lot of water quickly. Each appliance is made to withstand tough conditions too, so they work well in building sites or open locations where environmental conditions are challenging.
Ebac Water Damage
The Ebac water damage dehumidifiers are the perfect product for very wet spaces. Their models include humidistat control features and condensate pumps. These features, combined with the quality of the product, make this American appliance excellent in commercial settings.
Phoenix Water Damage
Phoenix water damage dehumidifiers remove more gallons of water from the air daily than most other commercial units, but they also use less energy. These high-capacity units are perfect for large areas of buildings still under construction.
Aprilaire dehumidifier units are the most popular American options on the market. They can deal with a large space and remove a lot of moisture while limiting the spread of mold and dust.
Aprilaire offers freestanding units, but some of their best options are ducted. These work in almost any building and are connected directly to your HVAC system. This makes them ideal for large homes that want heaters, AC, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers all in one.
Ultra-Aire is a good manufacturer for homes with poor air quality. They have smaller units, but their whole home ventilation units are most effective as they are well-made and long-lasting. They’re also extremely energy efficient, so they can service a large area without costing a fortune to run. Plus, all their dehumidifiers and humidifiers are protected by a 4-year warranty.
Dehumidifier Corporation of America
The DCA produces a variety of dehumidifiers. They have specialist systems used in pools, food production centers, and HVAC systems. Plus, DCA offers leasing agreements to make larger units more affordable.
Small Household Dehumidifiers
Honeywell produces inexpensive dehumidifiers, which are made for quick and easy installation. Despite being small, they have a lot of functionality which allows them to be configured to meet your specific needs. If you have a small space or a specific area that suffers from humidity, then they’re a great American brand to choose.
Keystone has lots of 20-50 pint dehumidifiers to choose from, and over 2.5 million units are sold in the US annually. They work well in small homes and are perfect for occasional use in the humid summer months.
They split their manufacturing between Florida and China, so when selecting your dehumidifier, it’s important to choose the one made in Florida.
Alorair is an American brand with distribution centers on the East and West coasts. They have a range of ducted and ductless units to choose from, and their small units work well for those who only need dehumidification at certain times of the year.
There are many options on their website or through Amazon, but they all feature an advanced heating coil that will save you energy compared to other units.
Types of Dehumidifiers on the Market
There are two main types of dehumidifiers: refrigerant and desiccant. Refrigerant dehumidifiers are the most common and use a heating and cooling coil to remove moisture. A desiccant absorbs moisture from the air by passing it over an absorbent material.
However, when you’re searching for a dehumidifier, it’s more likely you’ll be looking for a model for a particular area of your house, or to tackle a specific issue.
Here are the main categories of dehumidifiers you can buy:
- Whole house dehumidifier – as the name suggests, you buy these to regulate humidity in several rooms simultaneously.
- Basement dehumidifier – these are designed to deal with high levels of moisture and low temperatures.
- Crawl space dehumidifier – these are designed to deal with high levels of moisture in a compact space, and are usually small.
- Small home dehumidifier – these are usually portable dehumidifiers that can be used in a small household or specific rooms. They are often bought to be used in the summer months when humidity levels rise.
- HVAC system – a full air quality system that regulates the excess moisture and acts as an air conditioner. It can also sometimes be used as a humidifier.
- Industrial dehumidifier – these are designed to manage moisture levels in a large space or to support professional activities like construction work. They are made to deal with high levels of moisture in the air and are sometimes referred to as ‘moisture damage’ units.
- Grow room dehumidifier – these are specifically designed for spaces where plants grow to help regulate moisture levels and maintain a healthy environment for growth.
- Swimming pool dehumidifier – these units help maintain a consistent temperature and humidity around a pool. They are often fixed with continuous drainage and connected to a heating system.
Why Do Customers Want American-Made Brands?
Dehumidifiers made in the USA are made to a higher standard with greater quality assurance than models made overseas. The companies making these units in the USA generally have greater oversight of the manufacturing process, so the appliance will generally last longer, be more efficient, and work better.
Better For The Environment
The American process is usually more environmentally friendly and involves less shipping. This makes it a greener option with less impact on the environment.
Supports American Companies and Workers
Ultimately, buying a dehumidifier made in the USA helps to support American companies. This helps to provide America with more jobs for workers so you can buy with pride knowing you’re supporting the American economy.
7 Reasons Why It’s Smart to Have a Dehumidifier at Home
Dehumidifiers are an essential appliance in the 21st Century and offer a range of benefits:
- They make you and your family more comfortable by allowing you to control the humidity.
- Along with improving your comfort, they protect your health by preventing spores and dust mites from thriving in the air.
- They reduce mold and mildew, helping to protect your belongings and buildings from structural damage.
- They can alleviate allergy symptoms by limiting the number of allergens and irritants in the air.
- They can lower energy costs by removing the reliance on your AC and save you money.
- They can help to deal with water leakage and prevent water damage.
- They can make your basement, cellar, or other humid rooms much more hospitable.
US Made Dehumidifier Questions
Are dehumidifiers built in the USA better than Chinese made models?
Generally, dehumidifiers made in America are of higher quality than those made in China because there are higher standards to adhere to.
Which US dehumidifier is best?
Santa Fe is the industry leader in high-quality dehumidifiers made in the USA, with consistently high-quality products. The Dehumidifier Corporation of America is also one of the best dehumidifier manufacturers out there.
Are American brand dehumidifiers expensive?
Dehumidifiers made in the United States are usually more expensive than those made overseas, and it’s more likely you’ll have to buy a larger unit. However, the exact cost does depend on the size, purpose, and specifications of the dehumidifier you choose.
Dehumidifiers are an essential appliance for your comfort, health, and well-being. They also help to protect your home. It’s important you buy a good quality dehumidifier to do the job, and that’s why more people are choosing American products. These are tested more thoroughly than some imported goods and are generally considered better quality.
In this guide, I’ve introduced some of the best American dehumidifier brands and hopefully given you a place to start as you shop for your dehumidifier.