Knowing how to clean Honeywell air purifiers is a vital part of taking care of them, but it can be hard to know how. Breathe easy! We break down our tips and tricks below.
What You’ll Need?
Gathering your tools beforehand can make the cleaning process go quickly and smoothly. The items that you will need for a smooth cleaning session include:
- The air purifier
- Soft, clean cloths
- Cotton buds/cleaning toothbrush
- Warm soapy water (depending on the kind of filter you have)
- Old towels or drop cloths (if you cannot access an outside space)
- Cotton swabs
Some safety tips to bear in mind while cleaning:
- Do not use harsh or abrasive chemicals while cleaning your air purifier or filter.
- Always turn off and unplug the air purifier before cleaning.
- Always ensure that every part of the purifier is completely dry before turning it back on.
How To Clean Honeywell Air Purifier Filter (For All Models)
Let’s dive into how to clean Honeywell air purifiers:
- Turn off and unplug your Honeywell model. Wipe down any visible debris on the outside of the unit.
- Either take it to an outdoor space so the dust can escape or put down towels and cloths to protect your floor and furniture.
- Remove the filter according to manual instructions. If it is a replaceable one, order a replacement before continuing.
- Vacuum the interior of the filter area as well as the filter itself, shaking it occasionally.
- Use the brushes to get into any stubborn spots.
- If your filter is washable, wash it in warm water according to manual instructions.
- Let your filter dry completely before reinstalling.
- Wipe down the outside with a barely damp cloth.
- Dry the outside with a clean, dry cloth.
- Wipe down the sensor with a damp cotton bud.
- Dry the sensor lens with a dry bud.
- Replace everything according to manual instructions.
- Plug in and turn on the unit to ensure everything works properly. Then, follow the reset instructions according to your user manual.
Not every filter can be washed; read the manual carefully to ensure that your one can come into contact with water before washing. Make sure to follow our safety tips and to be thorough while cleaning.
Can You Wash A Honeywell Air Purifier Filter?
When wondering how to clean Honeywell air purifier permanent filters, customers often consider using soap and water to remove the dust. While this can be effective with certain washable filters, it could damage or hinder other kinds. The types of Honeywell filters available include:
- Washable filters
- Activated carbon filters
- HEPA permanent filters
The latter two should only be brushed and vacuumed, or else they could damage the filter or the unit. If you are ever unsure, follow manual or product instructions for best practices. If you can wash it, make sure to check if soap can be used or if only water is enough.
How Often Should You Clean The Honeywell Air Purifier Filter?
Need to know how often to clean central air purifier filters? The best cleaning schedule for your filter will depend on a variety of factors, including the air quality in your area, how often you use your air purifier, what kind of filter you have installed, and more.
As a general guide, we would recommend washing washable filters once a month, while activated carbon and permanent HEPA filters are a little more flexible. We recommend once every 1-3 months or so for the latter two. Your filter light should be a good indicator, but set reminders in your calendar, so you never miss a cleaning date.
How To Tell That The Honeywell Air Purifier Filter Is Dirty?
Most Honeywell air purifiers have a filter light that tells you when it needs cleaning, replacing, or fixing. However, sometimes it may not work or could be compromised. Some other things to watch out for include:
- It has been a while since it was last cleaned.
- The air does not seem to be improving in quality even if you leave the purifier on for an extended time.
- The purifier is particularly warm.
- The air purifier makes odd noises while running.
If you are ever unsure if a filter needs cleaning, the fastest way to know is to take it out and inspect it for yourself.
People Also Ask (FAQ)
How do I reset the filter light on my Honeywell air purifier?
Try holding the filter button for 10 seconds or so, depending on the model. You should be able to find the recommended location and time in the manual. Alternatively, try turning the unit off and on.
How do you reset the thermostat after changing the filter?
After changing the filter, the thermostat should reset automatically after you reset the filter light by holding it down for a few seconds.
Knowing how to clean Honeywell’s true HEPA air purifiers is one of the most important steps in caring for them. Follow our tips above and leave reminders in your calendar to extend the life of your air purifier and enjoy the fresh air for years to come.
Last Updated on January 9, 2023
- Levoit 131 Air Purifier Won’t Turn On (Troubleshooting) - January 29, 2023
- How To Troubleshoot A Winix Air Purifier (Solved!) - January 29, 2023
- How To Make A DIY Air Purifier (5 Easy Steps!) - January 29, 2023