It’s that time of year again! Allergy season. Pollen, dog fur, cat fur, and dust mites. Before you grab that bottle of allergy pills, consider cleaning your AC unit.
Your AC unit is home to a rigamarole of dust and other particles from outside or inside your home.
Removing the front cover of your AC unit without damaging it might seem like a job for a mechanic, but it doesn’t take a college degree to do it.
For instructions on how to remove the front cover of window air conditioner without damage, please continue reading.
How To Remove The Window AC Front Cover Properly?
We’ll now list the materials necessary to remove the AC front cover and will describe the different steps in detail.
- Screwdriver/ screw gun
- Big towel or polythene bag
- Boots for good grip
- A strong arm or an assistant
Steps To Remove Front Cover
- Turn off the AC and unplug it from the power outlet.
- Remove the control knob of your window AC by using your fingers. Detect the location of the screws near the control knob.
- Lay your towel or polythene bag on the floor.
- Secure the cord by stepping on it firmly.
- Begin removing the screws.
- Remove the screws from the other side.
- Remove the front cover.
- Carefully balance the AC on the window to not drop it.
Why Remove The Window AC Front Cover At All?
Mold is not something to take lightly. Upon finding mold in your home, it poses a threat to you and your loved ones. Mold can also harm you unseen. Where can mold be found? On your air conditioner. During the summer, when all you want is for your AC to blast cold air throughout your house, the refrigerant in your AC is working overtime and what ends up happening is that your refrigerant gets wet, you’re unaware, and mold begins to grow in your window AC.
Mold is also a trigger for constant allergies, whether it’s visible or not, so removing the front cover of your AC unit is very important.
As mentioned above, dust is the main contributor to allergies. To make sure your AC unit is providing clean air, you need to remove the front cover to change the filter.
Tips When Removing The Window AC Front Cover
Usually, the removal of the front cover of an AC unit is by simply removing some screws from the front panel. However, because there are so many brands of AC units available to us, there are more steps you have to take than just unscrewing some screws that require reading the manual.
When it comes to removing the front panel of your AC, there are lots of ways to do it wrong and possibly break something, so here are some tips for when you’re removing your front panel:
- Turn off the AC and disconnect it, so there are no fire hazards present as you work.
- When you remove the control knob of your AC, please make sure you’re wearing gloves so that you don’t leave yourself open to getting cut. Also, if your panel doesn’t have screws, gently pry the panel out. You don’t want to break or chip anything, so don’t yank it out.
- Place a towel on the floor. You may be asking, ‘why put a towel on the floor?’ well, there might still be unwanted gunk in the unit that you wouldn’t want to spray or spill on your floor, so putting a towel there would save your floor. It can also save you or anyone else in your house from slipping and or getting hurt.
- Focus on cleaning the air filters more often to avoid dust accumulation.
- Keep your unit in the shade. Covering it from heat damage and other elements can expand your AC’s lifespan.
- Keep your AC on for a few hours a day to prevent the production of mold.
- Most importantly, if you’re not sure how to fix something on your AC, don’t do it on your own; call someone to fix it for you.
Why Can’t I Remove The Window AC Front Cover?
Say you just bought a new unit for your home, and you are trying to remove the front cover but can’t remove it. You can try looking around the unit to see if any hidden screws need to be removed.
If there are no hidden screws, there should be a locking plate on the front of your unit. According to Francis, a field service technician for the past 31 years on justanswer.com,
“After removing the plastic front cover, you might find a holding plate at the front that would prevent you from pulling the unit forward.”
People Also Ask (FAQ)
Here are common window AC front cover questions people are most interested in.
How do you put an air conditioner cover back on?
Place the panel back on the unit and screw the panel back on.
Does the AC cover contain any wiring?
No, it does not. The AC cover is held together by screws with no electrical wires present.
Can I clean the front cover with water?
Water would not be the best solution because of the electrical components inside the unit. Opt for a foam cleanser instead, as it cleans without the need for soap and water, and it’s used to clean the inside of the unit as well.
Do I need to take the front cover off when installing the AC?
Depending on the model, you will have to remove the front cover to add the screws inside the unit.
In conclusion, the removal of an AC unit cover is paramount to extending the life of your AC unit, among other ways. Make sure you keep your air on for a few hours a day to prevent the production of mold. Change the filter in your unit a couple of times a month to reduce the amount of dust in the AC unit and your home. If there is anything you are not sure you can do by yourself, you are encouraged to call an electrician for help.